1 in 4: The anti-stigma strategy in Andalusia (Spain)
Diagrama de temas
“1 de cada 4” (1 in 4) is a cross sector anti-stigma strategy that started in 2007 as a part of a global approach that include the improvement of social & mental health services based on recovery and human right principles. The general aims of 1 in 4 are:
- Fight stigma, discrimination and human right violation experienced by people with mental health conditions.
- Support service users and relatives in their recovery journey.
1 in 4 is co-ordinated by the Awareness Group that is part of the Comprehensive Mental Health Plan of Andalusia, formed by service users and carers, whose direct experience with discrimination is essential to determine the strategy and the actions that should be taken, as well as mental health professionals, sociologists and journalists. The members of this group belong to the following agencies:
The cross sector actions are addressed to general population, young people, professionals from several sectors (media, health, social service, and policy & other security forces), workplaces and people with mental health conditions and relatives. Since 2011, actions have been taken in order to implement the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) within social & mental health services.
Actions addressed to general population:
- Video-spots championship
- Anti-stigma championship
- Personal recovery experience video-documentary
- Stigma & mental health video-documentary
- Anti-stigma exhibition ‘Don’t judge by the face’
- 1 in 4 campaign
Actions addressed to media professionals:
Actions addressed to workplace:
Actions addressed to health & social care professionals:
- Human Rights & mental health awareness publication
- Stigma and general health video-documentary
- Personal experiences with staff in mental health services guide
- Stigma, human rights & recovery training courses
Actions addressed to young people:
- Awareness workshops in secondary schools “Let's talk about it”
- Awareness workshops in secondary schools “Get minded”
- Training events with university students
Actions addressed to police & other security forces:
Actions addressed to people with mental health conditions and relatives:
- Mental Health Advanced Directive procedure and guide
- Peer support group network
- Human Rights users’ guide
- Sports and physical activities initiatives
- Creativity & art activities
- Recovery & peer support training (peer to peer)
- Families’ Schools
- Prospect training programme
Also, 1 in 4 promote local actions based on social contact, with the leadership of users and relatives:
An overview of the strategy until now tell us that the joint forces actions between all the main actors was highly valued, and that the cross-over actions and working on a long term basis with different audiences give a greater credibility, both to public and policy makers.
One of the strengths of 1 in 4 is that it serves as a baseline for the development of local actions involving local key actors, and probably the main milestone is the direct outcome for users who reached empowerment and recovery.